Banner

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6-wheeled armoured cars

 

 

 

 

 

The endeavours of the Reichswehr by developing armoured multi-wheeled vehicles for reconnaissance units led to satisfactory results, but all these developments were to expensive to be procured in the postulated numbers. Around 1928, serial production of the new 6-wheeled cross-country lorries of the 1.5 tons payload class was started. So it was tested to use these lorry chassis for the production of armoured vehicles. The armoured superstructures were developed by the Deutsche Werke AG in Kiel in cooperation with the army ordnance office. The armour should provide protection against splinters and small arms. This was reached by clever angular arrangement of the armour plates. So the thickness of the armour plates could be held very thin. The outer form of the armoured superstructure – which was similar to a coffin – became later typical for all German armoured cars. The first prototypes were made beginning in 1930 based on the Mercedes-Benz G 3 a/P chassis. Serial production was started in 1933 by Daimler-Benz and Büssing-NAG. One year later, Magirus followed. Production figures of about 1,000 vehicles are claimed in some sources. These are absolutely not true! Daimler-Benz produced about 37 chassis of these 9 were finished with armoured bodies of the Sd. Kfz. 231 and 232. 45 chassis of the 54 chassis made by Büssing-NAG were completed as Sd. Kfz. 231 and 232. Magirus manufactured 80 chassis. 12 of these were finished as Sd. Kfz. 263, the rest was equipped with armoured bodies of the Sd. Kfz. 231 and 232. The surplus chassis of Daimler-Benz and Büssing-NAG were used for the production of prototypes and single-unit productions. Some of them were later used by regular police forces.
In service these vehicles were underpowered, the chassis were overloaded and the cross-country mobility was insufficient. But they performed well by the development of tactical basics and the training of crewmen. Beginning in 1937/38, the 6-wheeled armoured cars were step by step replaced by the new 8-wheeled armoured cars of the type Büssing-NAG type GS. The last vehicles left the first line units after the campaign in the west. The 6-wheeled armoured radio vehicles Sd. Kfz. 263 were used until 1942 in some cases.

 

 

 

 

 

Production model:

Year of construction:

Quantity:

 

 

Mercedes-Benz G 3 a/P

1932-1933

ca. 37

 

 

Büssing-NAG G 31 P

1932-1935

54

 

 

Magirus M 206 P

1934-1936

80

 

 

 

 

 

Versions:

 

 

 

 

 

Designation of the motor vehicle:

Abbreviated designation:

Quantity:

 

 

schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Sd. Kfz. 231) (6 Rad)

s. Pz. Sp. Wg. (Sd. Kfz. 231) (6 Rad)

together 122

 

 

schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Fu) (Sd. Kfz. 232) (6 Rad)

s. Pz. Sp. Wg. (Fu) (Sd. Kfz. 232) (6 Rad)

 

 

Panzerfunkwagen (Sd. Kfz. 263) (6 Rad)

Pz. Fu. Wg. (Sd. Kfz. 263) (6 Rad)

12

 

 

 

 

 

Foreign derivates:

Year of construction:

Quantity:

 

 

Pantserwagen M 36 (Landsverk 181) resp. Panzerspähwagen L 202 (h)

1936

12

 

 

Pantserwagen M 38 (Landsverk 180) resp. Panzerspähwagen L 202 (h)

1938

14

 

 

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

 

 

 

<< back to Daimler Benz AG

 

 

<< back to Büssing-NAG

 

 

<< back to Magirus