67 exemplars of the Steyr 40 D command car were manufactured from 1935 to 1937. 10 exemplars of the version L were made and 57 from the version E. The both versions differed only by the interior arrangement.
Beginning in 1939, some command cars were made on the improved chassis Steyr 640. These are easily identifiable by the separate fenders of the rear wheels. This Steyr 40 D command car already had a Wehrmacht number plate.