The origins of the Adolph Saurer AG in Arbon at the Lake Constance reach up to the year 1853. Commercial vehicles were made beginning in 1903. Saurer was the most important Swiss manufacturer of heavy lorries. Because of their outstanding quality, Saurer lorries and engines were made under licence in different countries. Beginning in 1911, Saurer was licensor of the International Motor Company. Cooperation with MAN started in 1915. The Österreichische Saurerwerke AG in Vienna got a licence of the Adolph Saurer AG in 1906, which was main shareholder until 1937. Besides lorries, special military vehicles were made by the Österreichische Saurerwerke AG for the Austrian army and later for the Wehrmacht.