Banner

 

 

 

 

schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Sd. Kfz. 233)
as of August 1940:
schwerer Panzerspähwagen (Sd. Kfz. 231) (8 Rad)

 

 

SdKfz_231_&_Mercedes_in_Munsterlager

 

 

Serial production of the new 8-wheeled armoured car type GS started in 1937. The heavy armoured car Sd. Kfz. 231 was armed with a 2cm KwK 30 and an MG 34. The first series is identifiable by the older vision ports.

 

 

 

 

 

SdKfz_231_bei_Übung_in_Rumänien_PzAA13_13_PD

 

 

The older vision ports in the forward side plates of the turret were replaced by the new Einheitssehklappen - standard vision ports – with the start of serial production of the second series in Mai 1939. In July 1940, the so called Zusatzfrontplatte für s. Pz. Sp. Wg. (8 Rad) - an additional stand-off frontal armour - was introduced. It was attached in a distance of 50 cm. The shown vehicle belonged to Aufklärungs-Abteilung 13 (mot) of 13. Panzer Division.

 

 

 

 

 

SdKfz_231_bei_Übung_in_Ponomarew_Juni_42_PzAA13_13_PD

 

 

21 Sd. Kfz. 231 of the third series were made from February to Mai 1941. Because the new armoured superstructure of the third series was delivered by Boehler beginning in May 1941, these vehicles had most probably the armoured superstructure of the second series. For the third series, the turret was completely changed. The front was broadened and heightened. The gun mantled was modified and offered more protection. Now all vision ports were Einheitssehklappen. Officially, no Sd. Kfz. 231 were produced after May 1941. Therefore, the shown vehicle of 13. Panzer Division was most probably a converted Sd. Kfz. 232. The photo was made in Ponomarew in early summer 1942 just before the beginning of the new offensive.

 

 

 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

 

 

 

<< back to the 8-wheeled armoured cars, type GS